In most ways, they are the same. Once you are enrolled as a patient at Fair Haven Community Health Care, you will have a primary care provider (PCP) who will remain your provider until you chose to change. She or he will provide your care, answer your questions and make recommendations and referrals to other providers as needed.
Because we focus on making health care accessible, there are two main differences:
Care under one roof. Fair Haven can coordinate much of your specialty care all under the Fair Haven roof. That means your doctors will be able to follow your progress more easily should you need a referral. It means your provider can also offer you access to other great services we have here. And your upcoming appointments can easily be made before you leave your visit.
Care regardless of ability to pay. Because Fair Haven is an FQHC (see below for more info), we are able to welcome you for care, regardless of ability to pay. Our team will work with you to enroll you in the best insurance plan for you. If you do not qualify for insurance, we will work with you to identify a sliding scale payment option based on your family size and income.
Patient-centered means we make every decision with YOU in mind. At Fair Haven, your care team centers on you and your needs. This includes:
- Accessibility: We provide daytime and evening appointments and 24/7 on-call coverage.
- Continuity: You see the same health care providers, allowing you to build a relationship.
- Coordination: Your health care team coordinates care within Fair Haven and with outside specialists, if needed.
- Compassion: We listen to your questions and concerns.
- Cultural Competency: We are respectful of your culture and beliefs.
- Language Availability: Your health care team speaks many languages. Access to our translators is easy for the languages we don’t know yet!
- FQHC stands for Federally Qualified Health Center. FQHCs are federally funded non-profit health centers, overseen by an agency of the federal government (HRSA), and must adhere to strict monitored care standards. FQHCs are vital partners in health care as they provide primary care services regardless of your ability to pay. Fair Haven accepts many private insurances, Medicaid/HUSKY, and Medicare. If you do not qualify for insurance, your services will be provided on a sliding scale fee based on your family size and income.
Any person residing in Fair Haven Community Health Care’s service area is eligible to enroll as a patient in any of our departments, i.e., medical, behavioral health, or dental. These 10 towns in our service area are: Branford, East Haven, Guilford, Hamden, New Haven, North Branford, North Haven, Northford, West Haven, and Woodbridge.
Patients who do not reside in the 10-town service area may be able to join specific programs or services. Please call our Patient Access team with any questions.
If you don’t currently have health insurance, we can help! We offer financial counseling to ensure anyone qualified to receive health insurance is able to enroll. Once our staff determines if you qualify, you will be connected with one of our Certified Application Counselors (CAC) to assist with the HUSKY application process. .
If you are not eligible for HUSKY or have a high deductible insurance plan, please ask about our Sliding Scale program when you make your appointment.
Fair Haven Community Health Center provides a Sliding Fee Program for patients and their families who are uninsured or under-insured. FHCHC receives federal funds for those patients whose income level does not exceed 200% of the poverty level based on the patient’s family size. For patients in need of Family Planning, our sliding fee scale goes up to 250% of the Federal Poverty Level.
If you or any family members have been denied health insurance, have a high deductible health plan, or cannot afford medical bills, you may qualify for our Sliding Scale program. Anyone applying for the sliding scale on visits, supplies, deductibles and other services not covered by insurance must bring proof of income. All patients are expected to pay their portion of the bill at the time of service.
- If you need to see a specialist not on Fair Haven’s staff, we will coordinate your appointments. Your provider and care team will connect you with one of our Referral Navigators to ensure you receive an appointment promptly and are able to get to the appointment on time.
- Yes! We pride ourselves on providing culturally sensitive care in the language you are most comfortable communicating in. More than half of our staff is bi-lingual and we always have access to interpretation services to help make your visit as comfortable and as thorough as possible.
- Most services are offered at most locations, but you can check here for more information. If you are looking for Dental Care, our full dental team is located at 50 Grand Avenue. Once you are a Fair Haven patient, you can easily make an appointment at the location most convenient for you. When you call us to make an appointment, our Patient Access Team will be able to help you figure out the best option for your needs.
We want you to be to be an active partner in your health care. At every appointment, we encourage you to ask these questions:
- What is my main problem?
- What do I need to do?
- Why is it important for me to do this?
- What reasonable goals should I have for my progress?
- Any other health-related questions or concerns you may have
You should always feel comfortable asking for clarification if you do not understand any directions your care team has given you. The more we know, the more we can make sure you are getting the right care for you!